North Korea disputes Trump's statement of the summit

0
501

Breaking News Emails

Get interrupted news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered everyday morning.

By Associate press

HANOI, Vietnam – North Korea disputes President Donald Trump's statement on why the Trump summit and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un collapsed.

North Korea's Foreign Minister said that the North only partially demanded the relief of the sanction in exchange for rebuilding its main nuclear complex and that the discussions collapsed after the US demanded further disarmament steps.

Ri Yong At comments during a suddenly scheduled news meeting in Hanoi on Friday, Trump's statement, which had previously told journalists, opposed the Nordic countries demanding a full removal of sanctions in exchange for the Yongbyon nuclear plant.

Ri says the Nordic countries were also prepared to offer a permanent stop to the country's nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missile tests, and that Washington wasted an opportunity that "may not come again."

He says that the attitude of the Nordic countries would not change, even though the United States offers to resume another round of dialogue.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Mike Pompeo says nuclear negotiations with North Korea will resume quickly.

Pompeo told reporters aboard his flight on Thursday that his team would come back to work "tomorrow" even though no new meetings are planned yet.

Pompeo said progress had been made between Trump and Kim on their lectures in Hanoi, but not enough to guarantee signing any kind of agreement. The White House had planned a signing ceremony but abruptly canceled it with a lunch when it became clear that an agreement could not be reached.

Pompeo spoke as he flew to Manila from Hanoi, Vietnam, to lecture with senior officials in the Philippines.