NEW YORK – Vermont Allied Senator Bernie Sanders rallies to the beleaguered presidential prospect as he begins to reluctantly reflect on the painful possibility of a 2020 campaign without him.
The self-proclaimed Democratic Socialist, 77, is the most important candidate facing a serious setback in the evolving White House. He was forced to confront reports of allegations of sexual harassment against women by male staff members when he called for the appointment of the Democratic President to the presidency in 2016.
The Sanders Loyalists expect him to launch a second campaign in the coming weeks, and his network of dedicated supporters is organizing hundreds of events across the country this weekend to encourage him to run.
But the charges placed Sanders in an unenviable position at the start of a contest that took place at the time of #MeToo. As his competitors traveled to the early-voting states and spotted the potential seat of the campaign, Sanders spent Thursday apologizing for the behavior of a handful of 2016 campaign workers and at the looking for a new staff for its 2020 operation, should it show up.
Some allies have lost confidence in the future of the man who has reshaped democratic politics in recent years and has almost on his own introduced liberal priorities such as "Medicare for all" and free university education in the United States. the party.
"If it does not show up, the void is huge in this country," said RoseAnn DeMoro, activist and former executive director of National Nurses United, who has reaffirmed her support for Sanders. "The passion in this foundation is going away. This base evaporates. This is not going to anyone else. I suspect that there would be a void so deep that it would go to (President Donald) Trump. "
Politico reported Wednesday that in July 2016, a former Sanders senior advisor had forcibly kissed a young employee after making sexually explicit comments. The Sanders team stated that the counselor, who denies the allegation, would not participate in a second campaign, if any. Former campaign manager Jeff Weaver, who was informed of some incidents after the end of the campaign, would no longer be responsible for the campaign, although he could occupy another position.
Nobody claimed that Sanders was directly aware of these incidents.
Former Sanders employee Giulianna Di Lauro Velez, who claimed to have been harassed during the 2016 campaign, wrote in The Intercept on Thursday that sexual harassment was widespread in many political campaigns. But she wrote that new allegations about the 2016 Sanders campaign indicate "the depth of the problem was probably deeper than most people knew".
She called on Sanders to "take the rare step of setting up an independent investigation into the allegations of 2016".
Earlier in the day, Sanders apologized, as he did last week, for the wrongs done under his guidance and sent a direct message to the women concerned.
"I thank them from the bottom of my heart for having spoken. What they have experienced is absolutely unacceptable and certainly is not the goal of a progressive campaign – or any other campaign, "said Sanders.
How Maine Congressmen Voted
This iframe contains the logic needed to handle Gravity Forms with Ajax.